Spring Graduation Timeline
- October 25 - Graduation Application Due to Registrar's Office
- September 25 - Graduation Application Due to Advisor
Summer Graduation Timeline
- November 25 - Graduation Application Due to Advisor
- January 25 -Graduation Application Due to Registrar's Office
Fall Graduation Timeline
- March 25 - Graduation Application Due to Advisor
- April 25 - Graduation Application Due to Registrar's Office
- Apply for graduation the term prior to graduation.
*You are responsible for submitting your paperwork to your advisor, and your advisor will submit the paperwork to the Registrar's Office
- Visit the Career Services office to prepare your resume and learn about the Hire a Lion service.
- Students with federal loans need to schedule an exit interview with the Financial Aid Office during their last term at MSSU.
- Verify your account balance is paid in full prior to commencement.
- Attend the spring Career Fair. Contact Career Services for date and time.
- Attend the Graduation Expo during your last term. Cap & gown will be disbursed at the expo.
- Attend Graduation rehearsal.
- Attend commencement.
If you have already submitted graduation paperwork and need to change your graduation date, please complete the Graduation Date Change Request.
Graduation Expo will be held on Wednesday, March 30th from 10:00 a.m.- 5:30 p.m. in the Ralph Gray Alumni Center. Graduation Expo will offer everything you will need in preparation for graduation. Participants can pick up caps and gowns, order graduation announcements and take care of other graduation related details.
Commencement Rehearsal will be held on Tuesday prior to commencement, at 4:00 p.m., in Leggett and Platt Athletic Center.
Caps and Gowns
Caps and Gowns are ordered as part of your graduation application and are available for pickup at Graduation Expo. Caps and gowns not picked up at Graduation Expo will be available for pick-up in the Ralph L. Gray Alumni Center until the Tuesday prior to commencement. Cap & gowns will be available at the commencement rehearsal. The Registrar’s Office will distribute caps and gowns until 5:00 PM Wednesday through Friday prior to commencement.
Students who have earned regalia cords should plan to pick up the cords from the appropriate office at least one week prior to the ceremony. Wear your cords to commencement. Please see the list below for the location of your cord:
- Athletics: North End Zone, Room 208
- National Scholastic Honor Society, Alpha Chi: Induction ceremony or Academic Affairs Office, Hearnes Hall, Room 208
- Criminal Justice Honor Society, Alpha Phi Sigma: Order in department; pickup at Justice Center, Room 126
- Dental Hygiene Honor Society, Sigma Phi Alpha: Consult Dental Hygiene Department
- Honors Program: Honors Office, Taylor, Room 208
- International Honor Society in Business, Delta Mu Delta: Plaster Hall, Room 310
- International Honor Society in Psychology, Psi Chi: Health Science, Room 232
- National History Honor Society, Phi Alpha Theta: Webster Hall, Room 224
- National Leadership Honor Society, Omicron Delta Kappa: Reynolds Hall, Room 241
- National Physics Honor Society, Sigma Pi Sigma, Reynolds Hall, Room 213
- Respiratory Therapy Honor Society, Lambda Beta: Health Science, Room 325
- Veterans: Financial Aid Office: Hearnes Hall, Room 109G
Students who have studied abroad through an exchange program with MSSU should plan to pick up their stole from the Institute of International Studies, Webster Hall, 337C. Wear your stole to commencement.
Master's Degree Candidates
Students receiving a master’s degree that plan to attend the commencement ceremony must contact their academic advisor to arrange for their master’s hood. Students in the Criminal Justice and Nursing programs purchase their master’s hood through the MSSU bookstore.
Day of Commencement
- Please arrive at Young Gymnasium in your academic regalia at least 30 minutes before your ceremony is scheduled to begin.
In addition to your cap and gown, be sure to wear any cords, stoles, or hoods (Master's candidates only) you have been given.
- Pick up your seating card in Young Gymnasium. You will be lined up for the processional 30 minutes prior to the ceremony. Your seating card is very important. When you approach the stage to receive your diploma, you will give the card to the announcer who will read your name.
- Please note that you will receive only a diploma cover, not your actual diploma, at commencement. Subject to completion of all degree requirements, your diploma will be mailed to the address listed on your application for graduation approximately 4 - 6 weeks following commencement.
If you are a graduate and require special arrangements to accommodate a disability, please telephone Brenda Spurlin at 417-625-9328 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 12 noon and 1:00 – 5:00 p.m. prior to Tuesday, November 25. The ushers on site will accommodate guests with special needs.