Skip To Top Navigation Skip To Content Skip To Footer

Transfer Credits FAQ

Transfer Credits Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


What happens after transfer transcripts are submitted to the Admissions department?

The Admissions department logs it into the system and sends the transcript to the Office of the Registrar.

The Office of the Registrar evaluates and articulates (converts) the courses into MSSU equivalent courses or electives as determined and posts it to the student’s MSSU transcript.

Does MSSU articulate all transcripts submitted to the institution?

  • The Office of the Registrar articulates transcripts for degree-seeking individuals who have been admitted to the institution.
  • The transcripts of non-degree seeking students will be articulated on an as needed basis when a transfer course is a prerequisite for a course at MSSU.

The degree of a student with a bachelor’s degree earned, will be posted on the MSSU transcript as earned. Individual courses will be articulated on request by the advisor when coursework meets prerequisites or applies towards the degree being pursued at MSSU. The advisor must submit the “Request to Articulate Transfer Courses” form.

How are transfer credits from institutions accredited by any of the six MSSU accepted accrediting agencies, evaluated, and articulated at MSSU?

  • Courses from such institutions are evaluated and articulated for course equivalency at the time of transfer. If MSSU does not have an equivalent course, the course will be transferred as general credits identified with the course subject of "ELEC" and a course number designating the level of credit at which the course was taken.
  • Courses designated as elective may occasionally be petitioned to count for specific requirements pending further review and required approval.
  • Transfer credits are assigned lower- or upper-level credit based on the level at which the course was taken at the transfer institution, not the level of the course at MSSU.
  • Credits from two-year colleges will be accepted for lower-level credit only. Students may receive course credit for a 300 or 400 level course, but the credit will not count toward the upper division credit required for a baccalaureate degree.
  • Courses also transfer with the number of hours the student took at the transferring institution even if the number of hours in the equivalent course at MSSU is different.

What happens with transfer credits from institutions that are not accredited by any of MSSU’s accepted six accrediting agencies?

  • Courses from schools that are not accredited by any of the six accredited agencies, may be petitioned for evaluation by a student’s advisor filing an Academic Petition. The petition must be accompanied with a course syllabus, and the credentials of the course instructor.
  • Petitions are routed for appropriate review and approval. Approved petitions will be applied to the student’s degree audit t by the Office of the Registrar.

How are transfer credits from foreign countries evaluated and articulated?

If you are a transfer student who has taken university classes outside the US, you will need to have your transcripts evaluated by an approved 3rd party evaluator. World Education Services Inc (WES) ( and SpanTran are the Preferred Evaluators.

Foreign transfer course grades will need to be converted to an American grading scale and a course-by-course evaluation.

All credits are first applied as electives but can be petitioned to apply to specific courses or degree requirements.

Visit the MSSU International Admissions home page for additional information and list of other evaluators.

How do credits transfer from institutions using different calendar systems?

In a situation where a student originally took a course in quarter hours or a different calendar system than the semester hour calendar at MSSU, the Office of the Registrar will convert the credits to equivalent semester hours.

Transfer transcripts from institutions that are not accredited by any of the six MSSU accepted accrediting agencies are not articulated. However, for institutions that are not accredited by the six accrediting agencies, but have specific articulation agreements with MSSU, specific transfer courses will be articulated according to the agreement.

For example,

0.067 Clock Hour = 1 Semester hour

0.667 Quarter hour = 1 Semester hour

How long does it take after a transfer transcript is submitted before it is articulated into MSSU transcript?

Transcript articulation normally takes between 8-10 business days after receipt in the Office of the Registrar. Transcript articulation may be delayed when the staff are dedicated to other priority processes such as degree conferral or enrollment support. In such cases students who need their transcripts articulated urgently can contact the Office of the Registrar at

How do High School Dual Credit Courses transfer in?

MSSU will accept transfer credits earned from an institution accredited by one of the six accrediting agencies while the student is/was in high school. Evaluation and articulation of these credits follow the same transfer credit evaluation and articulation process. Students must submit an official college or university transcript from the awarding institution to the MSSU Office of Admissions.

Dual credits posted on a High School transcript will not be used as a transfer credit for the purpose of evaluation and posting to the student’s MSSU transcript.

How does a student appeal for a transfer course to meet a different MSSU course or degree requirement?

Students or advisors who question how a course was evaluated and articulated, may use the academic petition process to petition a course to be articulated differently or applied to a specific degree requirement.  

Advisor’s file academic petitions on behalf of students by completing the Academic Petition form, gather all the required approvals and route the completed form to the Office of the Registrar to be applied. The Office of the Registrar will apply the petition as approved.

An academic petition typically applies to a specific course, degree, or minor. If the student changes their major or minor for which the petition does not apply, the petition may no longer apply and therefore fall off.

Which transfer credits on a student’s transcript will be applied to the MSSU transcript?

MSSU transfers in all grades on a student’s transfer transcript (including “D”, “F”, and highest grade of repeated courses). All grades are calculated into the student’s cumulative GPA, earned hours, and attempted hours.

Will MSSU accept credits from an institution that is posted on another institution’s transcript?

MSSU requires students to turn in all transcripts from every institution they have attended for evaluation.

MSSU will only articulate credits from the transcript of the institution where it was originally earned. 

For example, if a student went to both institutions A and B, and the credits of institution A have been entered on institution B and the student submits only institution B’s transcript to MSSU, we will only evaluate and articulate the credits from institution B and not institution A.

Where can I see my transfer credits after they have been evaluated?

Once your transcripts have been officially evaluated, you will be able to view your transfer credit online though MSSU's student portal, LioNet.
To view your transfer credit:

  1. Log on to LioNet
  2. Select "Student Menu" from the Student Quick Links menu
  3. Select "Student Records"
  4. Select "Academic Transcript"
  5. Select “All Levels” for The Transcript Level tab
  6. Select “Web Transcript” under the Transcript Type tab
  7. Transfer credits that have been evaluated will appear under the heading "Transfer Credit” and will display the credits by semester.

Students may also see their transfer credits posted on their degree audit.