Skip To Top Navigation Skip To Content Skip To Footer

Chemical or Biological Incident

  • Any incident involving chemical, biological, or radiological material is to be reported immediately to the University Police at extension 2222.
  • When reporting, be specific about the nature of the involved material and the location. The University Police will notify the authorities and medical personnel.
  • The professor or supervisor should evacuate the affected area at once and seal it off to prevent further contamination until the arrival of Hazmat Officer or University Police Officers.
  • Anyone who may be contaminated by the spill is to avoid contact with others as much as possible, remain in the vicinity, and give their names to the University Police. Required first aid and clean up by specialized authorities should be started at once.
  • If necessary or if directed to do so by University Police Officers activate the building alarm.
  • When you are told to leave by the University Police, walk quickly to the nearest marked exit and alert others to do the same.
  • Assist people with disabilities in evacuating the building. In an emergency, elevators are reserved for people with disabilities. Do not use elevators in case of fire.
  • Once outside, move to a clear area away form the affected building(s). Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
  • Do not return to an evacuated building unless directed to do so by the University Police or building coordinator.

Additional emergency numbers:

Department of Natural Resources - (314) 634-2435

Environmental Protection Agency: