Skip to main content

Current and Future Students

Disability Services Department

Need To Know
preospective students photo

It is the student’s responsibility to self-identify to the Coordinator of Student Disability Services in order to obtain accommodations. To be eligible for services, you must submit appropriate documentation. This information should be submitted directly to the Coordinator of Student Disability Services where confidential files are kept. Do not submit this documentation with your Admissions application. Once your documentation has been received and reviewed, we will contact you for an appointment to discuss your documentation and a possible Accommodation Plan. Reasonable accommodations will be granted on a case-by-case basis pursuant to an interactive process between the student and the Coordinator of Student Disability Services.  A student may seek services at any time while they are a MSSU student. 


All students must meet the same admission criteria. Students coming from high school, who are transfer students or who are under the age of 21 must meet the current Admissions standards. For students who do not meet normal admissions criteria, there is a possible case-by-case consideration for exceptional admissions. Contact the Admissions Office for further information.

Financial Aid

There is no special financial aid for students with disabilities. They must apply for the same financial aid as all other students. For information about the financial aid process, please visit the Financial Aid website or contact a Financial Aid counselor directly 1-800-606-6772 or 417-625-9367.

Students are encouraged to contact the Missouri Department of Vocational Rehabilitation to see whether they qualify for services under their agency. The purpose of the Department is to provide training and assistance to persons with disabilities, which will enable them to achieve employment. Career assistance provided for either persons with severe disabilities who wish to be employed, or for persons who have acquired disabilities and can no longer do the work they had formerly done. For students with disabilities who do qualify and whose individual rehabilitation plan includes college education, there can be assistance with tuition, fees, books, housing, transportation, etc.

The Joplin area is served by three offices of Vocational Rehabilitation:

This office serves all individuals who are disabled except those who have a vision or hearing impairment.

Department of Vocational Rehabilitation – Springfield

819 Boonville Avenue
Springfield, MO 65806
417- 895-5863


Department of Vocational Rehabilitation - Joplin

801 East 15th Street

Joplin, MO  64804

Rehabilitation Services for the Blind

149 Park Central Square
Springfield, MO 65806
417- 895-6391 
800- 592-6004


Again, students should contact the Coordinator of Student Disability Services as early as possible, generally during the year before you intend to apply to Missouri Southern State University. We are pleased to hear from prospective students and their parents and will gladly provide information and referrals within the campus to make acceptance and registration for classes as smooth as possible.

Contact Information:

Lori Musser

Coordinator of Student Disability Services
The Student Success Center
Missouri Southern State University
3950 E. Newman Road
Hearnes Hall Room 301N
Joplin, MO 64801-1595

Voice:  417-659-3725
Fax:  417-659-4456 

Rights and Responsibilities

Every student with a documented disability has the right to:

Every student with a documented disability has the responsibility to:

MO-AHEAD website

Myths, Assumptions and Requests that are NOT considered Reasonable and are NOT provided by post-secondary institutions: