Skip to main content

Withdrawal Information

Financial Aid

Please select one of the following for more information concerning that type of withdrawal.

          -*Dates may vary for off schedule classes. Students must contact Registrar's office for information on off schedule courses

Partial Withdrawal Information

Partial Withdrawal Procedures | Partial Withdrawal Consequences

Partial Withdrawal Procedures

If you have at least one on-campus course, you must initiate the withdrawal from a single course in the Registrar's Office, even if the course is online. All withdrawals must be initiated by the enrolled student. Someone else (spouse, sibling, friend, etc.) may not obtain the required signatures or return the form to the Registrar's Office on your behalf. Students must complete the form and obtain the following signatures:

If you are receiving veterans benefits, are a student athlete, a member of Project Stay, a member of the Honors Program, or an international student, additional signatures are required.

If you are a 100% distance student (no on-campus courses), you may request a single course withdrawal by emailing Online Academic Advising at

Partial Withdrawal Consequences

Please read the following consequences before completing a withdrawal.

For further information concerning the consequences of a partial withdrawal, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Total Withdrawal Information

Total Withdrawal Procedures | Total Withdrawal Consequences | Total Withdrawal Form

Total Withdrawal Procedures

  1. Any students totally withdrawing from the college before school starts can do so through their academic advisor or ACTS office.
  2. The day classes begin students totally withdrawing from the college must obtain a Total Withdrawal Form from the Financial Aid Office.
  3. If the student has any type of assistance, the staff member counsels the student concerning satisfactory academic progress requirements.
  4. If the student has a Perkins or a Direct loan they are given an exit interview.
  5. If the student has received any Title IV funds they are automatically placed on Financial Aid Suspension.
  6. The Department of Education is notified electronically if the student has a Direct loan
  7. University Accounting Services is notified electronically if the student has a Perkins.

Consequences of Total Withdrawal

FEDERAL aid recipients must make satisfactory academic progress (SAP) in order to remain eligible for federal financial aid.

180 HOURS OF STUDENT ELIGIBILITY may occur and you will not be permitted to receive any FEDERAL funds after 180 attempted hours. If you are receiving state aid and/or institutional awards you need to be aware that these types of aids have varying semester limits.

REPAYMENT OF TITLE IV FUNDS will be required when aid has been disbursed to a student from financial aid funds in excess of the amount of aid the student earned during the term. Title IV funds refers to the federal financial aid programs authorized under the Higher Education Act of 1965 (as amended) and includes the following programs at MSSU: Federal Pell Grant, ACG, SMART, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Perkins Loan Program, and Federal Direct Loan Program. These policies are effective only if the student completely terminates their enrollment by official withdrawal, is dismissed from classes, stops attending classes without an official withdrawal before completing more than 60% of the enrollment period or fails all courses at the end of the semester.

REVISION OF FINANCIAL AID AWARDS may occur if processing of financial aid is not complete at the time of withdrawal. For example, your Pell award may be reduced if you drop from full-time (12 hours) to 3/4 time status (9 hours).

REPAYMENT may be necessary if you receive funds that are in excess of your non-institutional costs as computed by the Business Office.

REFUNDS may occur because of your withdrawal. However, Federal regulations may require funds to be returned to the financial aid account from which they came, before any refunds goes to the student.

DELAYED DISBURSEMENT OF FINANCIAL AID PROCEEDS may occur due to the electronic editing of the student account balance and /or financial aid amount when the refund check is already being processed, therefore your refund (if applicable) may be delayed.

ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIPS require students to complete a minimum of 12 hours each semester and usually a 3.0 GPA for most programs.

PERFORMING AWARDS (such as football, theater, band) require students to be enrolled in 12 hours in order to participate in the sport or activity.

LOAN ENROLLMENT STATUS CHANGE- If a student drops below 6 hours during the semester and has at anytime had federal loans they will be considered to be in a less than half-time status, therefore their grace period will begin immediately if applicable or if they have no remaining grace period they will be required to repay their loans immediately.

For further information concerning the consequences of withdrawal or for more information regarding aa total withdrawal, please contact the Financial Aid Office or email us.

Please note that these consequences do not apply to non-degree seeking students.

Total Withdrawal Form

Once you've read and understand the consequences of a doing a total withdrawal you may complete the withdrawal form.