Skip To Top Navigation Skip To Content Skip To Footer

Reporting Guidelines


Making a Report

Any person may report sexual harassment to the Title IX Coordinator. Reports may be made in person, by regular mail, telephone, electronic mail, or by any other means that results in the Title IX coordinator receiving the person’s verbal or written report. In-person reports must be made during normal business hours, but reports can be made by regular mail, telephone, or electronic mail at any time, including outside normal business hours.

In addition to reporting to the Title IX Coordinator, any person may report sexual harassment to any University employee with managerial authority over other employees, including cabinet members, deans, department heads, directors, supervisors, head coaches, and other managers (collectively “Reporting Officials”) who must promptly forward such report of Sexual Harassment to the Title IX coordinator. University employees who are not Reporting Officials are encouraged, but are not required, to forward reports of sexual harassment to the Title IX Coordinator.

Right to Make a Report to the U.S. Department of Education

A person may also file a complaint of sexual harassment with the United States Department of
Education’s Office for Civil Rights regarding an alleged violation of Title IX by visiting or by calling 1-800-421-3481.

Conduct that Constitutes a Crime

In addition to making a report under this policy, the University encourages any person who believes he or she is the victim of a crime to make a report to law enforcement. The contact information for the University’s Police Department is:

911 (emergency)
(417) 623-3131 (Report a crime)
(417) 626-2222 (Service calls) 
Lower campus area between Ummel and Plaster Halls on Mission Hills Drive

If requested, the University will assist an alleged victim in notifying the appropriate law enforcement authorities. If a person believes he or she is in imminent danger, the person should dial 911. Unless there is a health or safety emergency, articulable threat to members of the University Community, or a state law requiring reporting (such as in the case of child abuse) the University will not contact outside law enforcement without the alleged victim’s permission.

Special Advice for Individuals Reporting Sexual Violence, Domestic Violence, and Dating Violence

For those who believe that they are victims of sexual violence, domestic violence, or dating violence, the University recommends the following:

  • Get to a safe place as soon as possible.
  • Try to preserve all physical evidence of the crime—avoid bathing, using the toilet, rinsing one’s mouth or changing clothes. If it is necessary, put all clothing that was worn at the time of the incident in a paper bag, not a plastic one.
  • Do not launder or discard bedding or otherwise clean the area where the assault occurred-preserve for law enforcement.
  • Preserve all forms of electronic communication that occurred before, during, or after the assault.
  • Contact University police by calling (417) 623-3131 if the incident occurred on campus or the local police by calling 911 if the incident occurred off campus.
  • Get medical attention – all medical injuries are not immediately apparent. This will also collect evidence that may be needed in case the individual decides to press charges. Local hospitals have evidence collection kits necessary for criminal prosecution should the victim wish to pursue charges.
  • Contact a trusted person, such as a friend or family member for support.
  • Contact the University’s Counseling Department (417) 625-9559 and Willcoxon Health Center (417) 625-9323 for counseling and medical services.
  • Talk with a counselor who will help explain options, give information, and provide emotional support.
  • Make a report to the Title IX Coordinator.
  • Explore avenues for resolution under this policy.

It is also important to take steps to preserve evidence in cases of Stalking, to the extent such evidence exists. In cases of Stalking, evidence is more likely to be in the form of letters, emails, text messages, etc., rather than evidence of physical contact and violence. This type of non-physical evidence will also be useful in all types of Sexual Harassment investigations.

Once a report of Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, or Stalking is made, the victim has several options such as, but not limited to:

  • obtaining Supportive Measures

  • contacting parents or a relative

  • seeking legal advice

  • seeking personal counseling (always recommended)

  • pursuing legal action against the perpetrator

  • filing a Formal Complaint

  • requesting that no further action be taken

The University’s Department of Public Safety can assist individuals in obtaining a personal protection order (“PPO”).

The Title IX Coordinator may designate the Title IX Coordinator’s duties to appropriately
trained designee pursuant to this policy.