About the Degree:
A degree in Instrumental Education gives you what you need to teach music to K-12 level students. The Education portion of the degree offers you the chance to learn teaching methods (pedagogy) and includes student teaching. Music educators in public and private school play an imperative role in the education of the musicians and music teachers of the future. Many of our graduates play leadership roles in award-winning elementary, junior high and high school music programs.
What You’ll Learn:
- How to participate in any of a number of outstanding groups for marching band, pep band, symphony orchestra, chamber music, symphonic concert music, jazz combos, jazz orchestra, wind ensemble, chamber ensemble, chamber winds and percussion ensemble.
- Music theory, music history, marching methods, arranging and conducting, strings, brass, percussion and woodwinds.
- Pedagogical techniques to help young students learn the basics of music.
This Degree is Great if:
- You plan to become elementary/secondary level music teacher.
- You are interested in marching bands and school orchestras.
- You want to empower students through a knowledge of music and musical performance.