Skip to main content


Spiva Library

Finding Microforms

Microforms are the filmed version of a printed work.  Microforms are in the form of microfilm, which is a reel or roll, and microfiche, which is a sheet or card format.  Most frequently, materials such as newspapers or periodicals are converted to a microform for the purpose of storage and/or preservation.

All Spiva Library microforms are located on the 4th floor across from the Government Documents & Audio Visuals help desk.  Newspapers & periodicals are in alphabetical order by their titles.  ERIC documents are in numerical order by their ED number.

A staff member at the Government Documents & Audio Visuals help desk can assist you in locating the material and in demonstrating how to use a reader or reader/printer to view or make photocopies of microforms.  There are reader/printers for both microfilm and microfiche.

Newspaper on Microforms Students using microforms