Applications are accepted starting the first week of February through May 20 for the fall 2014 semester. Only one class is chosen each year.
To be considered for acceptance into the Respiratory Care program, the applicant must be at least seventeen (17) years of age and have completed the required pre-requisite courses in Anatomy and Physiology (BIO 121 at MSSU) and a minimum of Intermediate Algebra (Math 30 at MSSU).
1. Complete the APPLICATION*
- Submit the application, Criminal Background Check and State of Missouri Caregiver Background Screening forms with $70.00 fee to the Respiratory Therapy office at MSSU (located in the Health Science Building, Room 325) or mail to MSSU Respiratory Therapy, 3950 E. Newman Road, Joplin, MO 64801
*Application for admission to MSSU must be processed in addition to the program application.
2. Take the Health Occupations Basic Entrance Test TEAS)
- Individuals applying to the Respiratory Care Program must take the TEAS. You will be tested in the following areas: Math, Reading Comprehension, English Composition, and Science.
- Application and fees must be received before you schedule this test.
- Call 417-625-9848 or email email@example.com for test dates & scheduling
3. Submit the following DOCUMENTS.
- Original Transcripts: High School or GED certificate, College/University, Vocational/Technical (if applicable)
- Three letters of reference.
4. Information gathering Interview.
- Applicants whose HOBET percentile rank is 43 or above and all documents have been submitted will be contacted and scheduled for an interview with program staff.
5. DRUG SCREEN
- All selected applicants will submit to a drug screen on a date to be selected by program staff. Additional fees apply, payable at time of screening.
Applicants for whom English is a second language must take the Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) and obtain a minimum score of 600 on the paper final or 100 on the Internet-based test. Non-English speaking applicants must meet the same general admission requirements as all others applying for the Respiratory Therapy Program. The TOEFL tests are offered only at selected sites and select dates in Missouri. Applicants are responsible for making their own arrangements for taking the TOEFL tests.