Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions


Are freshmen required to live on-campus?

Yes, Missouri Southern requires all freshman under the age of 21 to live in the residence halls to the extent of housing available, unless married or living with legal guardian.

Are residents supposed to have the Meningococcal (meningitis) vaccine? 

The state of Missouri requires all students living in campus housing to have either the Meningococcal vaccine or a medical/religious exemption on record with the University health center. If you need more information on the vaccine, please contact the Willcoxon Health Center in Billingsly Student Center room 242 or call 417-625-9323.

What if I do not get along with my roommate?

Learning to live with another person can sometimes be difficult. We will not have a resident in a situation that is unmanageable. However, residents are encouraged to try and work through problems before requesting a room change. Generally, room changes are not made until after the first two weeks. It is important that students discuss their differences and come to a compromise that is beneficial to everyone involved. Most roommate problems can be resolved by good communication. The Resident Assistants (RAs) and the Resident Directors are available to assist with roommate issues.

Room change request form is located in LIONET. Click the applications and forms link under the Campus Housing header and to locate room change request form.

Will I be able to contact my roommate(s) before check-in?

Yes, you can assess roommates(s) name via LIONET by clicking Room Assignment/Roommate Information go tab located in Campus Housing applications and form page. 

When can I expect my room assignment?

Room assignments are e-mailed to your University e-mail account when you are assigned a room. 

Where can I find more information about my room style?

The menu on the left side of the Residence Life webpage has links for each style of housing that gives overview of amenities and pictures. The Admissions Office offers tours of the campus that include the residence halls.

How do I apply for housing?

Housing applications are available on LIONET under the Campus Housing header.  Student must be admitted to the University to complete application.  Select appropriate application and complete required steps. 

Can I bring my pet to campus?

No, pets are not allowed in the residence halls.

What if I don't have a roommate request?

We try to match students who have similar interests and study habits. Please provide as much personal information in housing application to assist housing staff in matching a roommate.

When can I move in? Can I move in early?

The residence halls open the Thursday before fall and spring semester classes at 8:00 a.m. Check-in any time after that date. Students may not move in early without permission of the Director of Residence Life.

How does "co-ed" housing work?

Apartment buildings and East Hall (suite style) house both genders. The room assignments are always gender specific, but men and women may live next to each other. These facilities all have individual bathrooms in each room. Cohabitation is not permitted. Guests are not allowed without roommate approval.

Is family housing available?

The University does not offer family or married housing.

Do the rooms have Internet and cable TV?

Yes, all rooms have Internet access. Residence halls have wireless Internet accessibility throughout as well as land lines in each room. All Internet is through our local network. We do not use any dial-up Internet. Each room is also cable ready. All you need is a TV and coax cable. These services are included in the housing fees.

Is housing offered during holidays, intersessions and summer?

Yes, the residence halls are available to students year round. There's no charge during Thanksgiving, winter interssession, and Spring Break. The charge for the intersession breaks between spring and summer and summer and fall is $200. Contact the Director of Residence Life for more information (417-659-4460). 

Are housing accommodations available to students with disabilities?

Yes. In order to receive special accommodations, any disability must be documented by the Disabilities Services Office (417-625-9516). The Residence Life Office cannot guarantee specific housing styles.

Are students permitted to leave their belongings in the room during the winter break if they are living in the same room the spring semester?

Yes, students may leave belongings in their room during the winter break if they are living in the same room. Please note that the University is not responsible for their belongs if anything were to happen.

Can I store personal items in assigned room before move in date?

No, the University does not allow students to store or move belongings before they move into their room.

What if I wish to move off campus?

Residents may cancel their contract after the fall semester if they pay a $600.00 buyout fee prior to checking out and the deposit will be retained. Students wishing to exercise this option of their contract need to complete breach of contract form and get form approved through the Dean of Students Office in Billingsly Student Center room 347.  

What size are the beds?

All beds in the residents halls are twin XL 36" X 80". There's 30" of clearance under bed if set at highest setting. 

Am I permitted to bring a refrigerator and/or microwave?

Yes, you may bring refrigerator and microwave. Please note that private room, suites, apartments and quads come with refrigerator and microwave.

What is my mailing address?

Your Name, 1007 International Ave Joplin, MO 64801.   

Are there laundry facilities on site?

Laundry facilities, located in the Mayes Student Life Center, Blaine Hall, McCormick Hall and Stegge Hall are available for resident students at no charge. All you need is your University ID for access