Dear Transfer and Former Student,
Missouri Southern State University has planned an Orientation and Enrollment program to provide new students with information about our university and academic programs. Southern Welcome is designed as a one-stop program. All the resources and departments you need will be housed in one building. This allows you to save time and get all of your needs met in one afternoon. Southern Welcome is scheduled for Wednesday, November 18th and Thursday, January 14th . If you choose to attend one of these programs, a reservation is required. This will ensure that we have an adequate number of faculty advisers to assist all students who attend the program.
If you are unable to attend a Southern Welcome, you can enroll in the department of your major beginning, Wednesday, November 11th.
Please pick up a copy of the 2015-2016 University Catalog from the Registrar’s Office in Hearnes Hall 100. The catalog gives the school’s academic policies and provides you with the list of all the courses you will need for your major along with a description of each course and any pre-requisites required.
The following are procedures you should follow to get you ready for the spring semester. Completing these steps will ensure a smoother transition for you.
- Enrollment Contact Information: To schedule an appointment with an advisor in the department of your major, please refer to this Administrative list.
- Transcript: Request an official transcript from all the schools attended to be sent to the Admissions office.
- Student Bill: Your bill will be posted to your LioNet account. It is your responsibility to check your LioNet account to your bill and settle it by the due date. The due date for 100% of the student bill for the summer semester is Wednesday, January 27th by 5:00 p.m. for the spring semester. Contact the Bursar’s Office at 417-625-9381,http://www.mssu.edu/offices/bursar/ or stop by Hearnes Hall 105 for assistance.
- Financial Aid: File your FAFSA if you plan on applying for any financial aid. The Financial Aid counselors are available during working hours to meet with individual students. For more information, visit the Financial Aid website at http://www.mssu.edu/financial-aid or contact the office at 417-625-9325.
- Medical History: You are required to turn in a completed health history form, a TB form, and to submit a copy of your immunization records. Download the health history form at http://www.mssu.edu/southern-welcome/medical-history-form-spring-2015.pdf and and turn them in along with the immunization record to the Wilcoxin Health Center in Billingsly Student Center Room 242. If you need assistance, please call 417-625-9323.
- Lion Card and Parking Permits: You will need to go to the Campus Card Center in Billingsly Student Center Room 109 to process your Lion Card and register your vehicle. You will need a state-issued photo ID and a license plate number for your parking permit.
- Disability Accommodation: If you are a student with disability and need special accommodations, please notify the Coordinator for Disability Services, Lori Musser at email@example.com or 417-625-9516 prior to enrollment.
- Email Activation: You are issued a school email account for all MSSU-related communication. You will have to activate that account before it can be used. Contact the Information Technology (IT) office at 417-659-4444 to get the information you need and directions to activate your email account.
- Placement Tests: Though transfer students are not required to turn in ACT scores as part of their Admission requirements, note that some courses may require ACT scores for placement and may therefore require you to submit ACT scores or take the necessary prerequisite courses. If you realize that you have to take any of these courses and did not turn in your ACT scores, you will be required to turn in ACT scores or take the necessary prerequisite courses or placement exams. See: Course Placement Requirements Sheet
- Rental Books: Booklist for enrolled courses will be available on your LioNet account after enrollment. Rental & purchase textbooks can be picked up for spring classes beginning Monday, December 14th for spring classes in Billingsly Student Center. You will need your Lion Card ID to pick up your rental books.
- Join our Facebook page for Transfer and Former students by going to MSSU Transfer Students.
Please contact the Southern Welcome office if you have any questions 417-625-9731.
Welcome to MSSU!
Southern Welcome Coordinator
3950 East Newman Road
Joplin, MO 64801