Southern Leadership Academy
Did you know?
- 77.2% of employers want to see leadership skills on a resume
- 95% of employers believe leadership skills should be developed while in college
In 2017, the Super Leader Program became the Southern Leadership Academy. The Southern Leadership Academy is a joint effort between Missouri Southern State University and the Joplin Area Chamber of Commerce Young Professionals Network to identify, cultivate and motivate future community leaders currently enrolled in college. This informative and thought provoking program introduces participants to the community and career opportunities. In addition, Southern Leadership Academy provides a strategic curriculum to enhance participants' leadership skills. Anyone who has a genuine interest in community leadership and wants to broaden their scope of knowledge beyond their current level is encouraged to apply to the Southern Leadership Academy.
Check out these session recap videos:
Why should you apply to the Southern Leadership Academy?
By the end of the Southern Leadership Academy, participants will:
- Cultivate and develop leadership skills
- Better understand the community
- See Joplin in terms of the "big picture"
- Gain valuable networking contacts
- Learn about career opportunities in the community
Each session is different and designed to expose participants to all aspects of the day's topic. The schedule shows the commitment required and it is important to understand the expectation of attendance at all sessions. If you have a conflict with session dates please consider waiting to apply until next semester.
2017 Fall Program
*Applications Due August 30, 2017
- Friday, September 8, 1 - 6 pm Leadership Development, Part 1
- Saturday, September 9, 10 am - 4 pm Leadership Development, Part 2
- Friday, September 22, 1 - 6 pm Marketing, Media, and Advertising
- Friday, October 6, 1 - 6 pm Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Friday, October 20, 1 - 6 pm Non-Profit and Volunteerism
- Friday, November 3, 1 - 6 pm Manufacturing and Logistics
- Friday, November 17, 1 - 6 pm Healthcare Industry
- Friday, December 1, 1 - 6 pm Technology and Finance
- Friday, December 8, 1 - 5 pm Leadership Development, Part 3
- Saturday, December 9, 2 - 3 pm Induction Ceremony
2018 Spring Program
*Applications Due January 26, 2018
- Friday, February 9, 1 - 6 pm Leadership Development, Part 1
- Saturday, February 10, 10 am - 4 pm Leadership Development, Part 2
- Friday, February 16, 1 - 6 pm Marketing, Media, and Advertising
- Friday, March 2, 1 - 6 pm Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Friday, March 16, 1 - 6 pm Non-Profit and Volunteerism
- Friday, March 30, 1 - 6 pm Manufacturing and Logistics
- Friday, April 13, 1 - 6 pm Healthcare Industry
- Friday, April 27, 1 - 6 pm Technology and Finance
- Friday, May 4, 1 - 5 pm Leadership Development, Part 3
- Friday, May 4, 6 - 7 pm Induction Ceremony
- Attend all scheduled sessions
- Meet with a counselor for a resume review appointment
- Meet with director for leadership coaching appointment
- Attend one Career Services event throughout the semester
- Participate in one YPN Gives Back event
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Completed 30 or more credit hours
- Enrolled in at least 6 hours for the semester
The Selection Process
Program participation is limited to 11-15 students per semester, depending on program funding. Students must submit a completed application and payment of $25 or essay to be considered for the program. Application fees will be refunded to candidates not selected. In addition to reviewing each individual's qualifications, the committee strives for a broad spectrum of experience, background and majors.
Southern Leadership Academy selection is based on the following individual criteria:
- Completed application and $25 payment *Waivers are available to cover the application fee.
- Personal Interview
- Involvement or desire to become involved on-campus or in the community
- Demonstrated ability and desire to assume greater community and campus leadership responsibility
- A clear willingness to make a commitment to the demands of the program
Application Fee Waiver
To apply for an application fee waiver:
- Write a one page maximum essay on why you would like to participate in the Southern Leadership Academy
- How it could benefit you
- Your commitment to the program and its requirements
Attach the essay with your application in lieu of the application fee and bring it to the Career Service Office on the second floor of Spiva Library.
Check out what our past graduates had to say about the former Super Leaders Program:
- Fall 2016 Super Leaders Video
- Spring 2016 Super Leaders Video
- Fall 2015 Super Leaders Video
- Spring 2015 Super Leaders Video
- Fall 2014 Super Leaders Video
- Spring 2014 Super Leaders Video
- Fall 2013 Super Leaders Video
Meet our current and past participants!
To be announced!
AshLeigh Clarkson Thomlinson
For more information about the Southern Leadership Academy:
Phone: 417-625-9343 or