Super Leader Program
Did you know?
- 77.2% of employers want to see leadership skills on a resume
- 95% of employers believe leadership skills should be developed while in college
The Super Leader Program is a joint effort between Missouri Southern State University and the Joplin Area Chamber of Commerce Young Professionals Network to identify, cultivate and motivate future community leaders currently enrolled in college. This informative and thought provoking program introduces participants to the community and career opportunities. In addition, Super Leaders provides a strategic curriculum to enhance participants' leadership skills. Anyone who has a genuine interest in community leadership and wants to broaden their scope of knowledge beyond their current level is encouraged to apply to the Super Leader Program.
Check out these session recap videos:
Why should you apply to Super Leaders?
By the end of the Super Leader Program, participants will:
- Cultivate and develop leadership skills
- Better understand the community
- See Joplin in terms of the "big picture"
- Gain valuable networking contacts
- Learn about career opportunities in the community
Check out what our past graduates had to say about Super Leaders:
- Spring 2016 Super Leaders Video
- Fall 2015 Super Leaders Video
- Spring 2015 Super Leaders Video
- Fall 2014 Super Leaders Video
- Spring 2014 Super Leaders Video
- Fall 2013 Super Leaders Video
Each session is different and designed to expose participants to all aspects of the day's topic. The schedule shows the commitment required and it is important to understand the expectation of attendance at all sessions. If you have a conflict with session dates please consider waiting to apply until next semester.
2016 Fall Program *Applications Due September 1, 2016
- Friday, September 16, 1 - 6 pm Leadership Development, Part 1
- Saturday, September 17, 10 am - 4 pm Leadership Development, Part 2
- Friday, September 23, 1 - 6 pm Marketing, Media, and Advertising
- Friday, October 7, 1 - 6 pm Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Friday, October 21, 1 - 6 pm Non-Profit and Volunteerism
- Friday, November 4, 1 - 6 pm Manufacturing and International Business
- Friday, November 18, 1 - 6 pm Healthcare Industry
- Friday, December 2, 1 - 6 pm Science and Technology
- Friday, December 9, 1 - 6 pm Leadership Development, Part 3
- Saturday, December 10, 2 - 3 pm Induction Ceremony
2017 Spring Program
*Applications Due January 27, 2017
- Friday, February 10, 1 - 6 pm Leadership Development, Part 1
- Saturday, February 11, 10 am - 4 pm Leadership Development, Part 2
- Friday, February 17, 1 - 6 pm Marketing, Media, and Advertising
- Friday, March 3, 1 - 6 pm Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Friday, March 17, 1 - 6 pm Non-Profit and Volunteerism
- Friday, March 31, 1 - 6 pm Manufacturing and International Business
- Friday, April 14, 1 - 6 pm Healthcare Industry
- Friday, April 28, 1 - 6 pm Science and Technology
- Friday, May 5, 1 - 6 pm Leadership Development, Part 3
- Friday, May 5, 7 - 8 pm Induction Ceremony
Gain valuable networking contacts
Learn about career opportunities in the community
Each session is different and designed to expose participants to all aspects of the day’s topic. Participants are expected to be on time and attend the entire program. Participants are allowed to miss one Friday session but encouraged to attend all. Both Leadership Development sessions and the Induction Ceremony are mandatory. If you have a conflict with session dates and times, please wait to apply for another semester.
The Selection Process
Program participation is limited to 11-15 students per semester, depending on program funding. Students must submit a completed application and payment of $25 or essay to be considered for the program. Application fees will be refunded to candidates not selected. In addition to reviewing each individual's qualifications, the committee strives for a broad spectrum of experience, background and majors.
*Waivers are available to cover the application fee.
Super Leader selection is based on the following individual criteria:
- Completed application and $25 payment *
- Personal Interview
- Involvement or desire to become involved on-campus or in the community
- Demonstrated ability and desire to assume greater community and campus leadership responsibility
- A clear willingness to make a commitment to the demands of the program
- Must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 hours at Missouri Southern State University
Meet our Super Leaders!
AshLeigh Clarkson Thomlinson
Application Fee Waiver
To apply for an application fee waiver:
- Write a one page maximum essay on why you would like to participate in the Super Leader Program
- How it could benefit you
- Your commitment to the program and its requirements
- How the $25 waiver would be of benefit to you
Attach the essay with your application in lieu of the application fee and bring it to the Career Service Office on the second floor of Spiva Library.
For more information about Super Leaders:
Phone: 417-625-9343 or