Missouri high-school students are encouraged to pursue a curriculum that will help prepare them for college coursework.
These requirements are as follows:
- English: 4 units. Two units emphasizing composition or writing skills are required. One unit may be speech or debate.
- Mathematics: 4 units. These units must include Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, and a fourth higher-level mathematics course.
- Social Studies: 3 units. Courses should include United States history and courses selected from World History, Government, Geography and Economics.
- Science: 3 units. General Science does not count. One unit must include a lab. Biology, Physics and Chemistry are strongly recommended.
- Visual/Performing Arts: 1 unit. Fine Arts courses include such areas as Visual Arts, Music, Dance or Theater.
- Electives: 3 units. These may be selected from World Geography, higher-level Mathematics, additional Science, Foreign Language (if chosen as an elective, the college recommends 2 units of the same language), advanced placement courses or a combination of the core courses listed above.
- In addition, freshman Math and English placement assessments must be completed at time of enrollment to ensure proper class placement.