Financial Aid Menu

Veterans Services Office

Show-Me Gold logoThe Veterans Services Office is here to help you obtain veteran benefits for your education at Missouri Southern.

We are located on the bottom floor of Hearnes Hall in the Financial Aid office.

Office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and by appointment, please call 417.625.3159. 

Select this link to learn about Show-Me Gold Officer Training Program


Helpful Information

Please see additional information regarding our Military Servicemembers Tuition Assistance.

Recently the military has changed to a Joint Services Transcript system. The new system includes the Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard. The Air Force is not included in this system.

Credit for Previous Training
Military training and other courses you have completed may apply toward your college degree. You can have your military transcript forwarded to MSSU by going to the following sites:


It is imperative that you complete a Veterans Registration form every semester to continue receiving G.I. Bill money. The form is available online, as well as in the MSSU Veterans Services Office, located in Financial Aid.

Veteran Affairs Regional Office 1-(888)-442-4551

Veteran Programs

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill

Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (MGIB) Information

Persons who entered active duty after July 1, 1985, and had their military pay reduced by $100 per month for 12 months, may qualify for this program. These persons also must have served a minimum of two years, earned a high school diploma or its equivalent either prior to, or during the qualifying enlistment, and must have an honorable discharge. Other requirements may apply.


Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation Programs

Vocational Rehabilitation Programs (VRP) Information

Eligibility for this program is determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. This program provides payment of required fees and a monthly allotment.


Chapter 32 - Veterans Educational Assistance Program

This program provides benefits to persons who initially entered the service after December 31, 1976, and before July 1, 1985. These persons volunteered to contribute money to the Post-Vietnam Era Veteran Educational Assistance Program. Participants receive monthly payments for the number of months they contributed or for 36 months, whichever is less.

Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill: Eligibility and Payments

Eligible individuals include those who serve on active duty at least 90 aggregate days beginning on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days of continuous service. (Discharged individuals must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible, or have a discharge or release for a medical condition Existing Prior to Service (EPTS), Hardship (HDSP), or Condition Interfering with Duty (CIWD). For more information on the Post-9/11 GI Bill, call toll-free 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551), or visit the VA GI Bill Website.

Post-9/11 GI Bill: Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

Public Law 111-32, the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship, amends the Post-9/11 GI Bill (chapter 33) to include the children of service members who die in the line of duty after Sept. 10, 2001. The benefit is effective August 1, 2009; the same day the Post-9/11 GI Bill takes effect. Eligible children attending school may receive up to the highest public, in-state undergraduate tuition and fees, plus a monthly living stipend and book allowance under this program. A child may be married or over 23 and still be eligible.

VA will begin accepting applications for this benefit May 1, 2010, and will begin issuing payments to eligible children by 8/1/10. Children enrolled from 8/1/09 through 7/31/10 may receive retroactive payments for that time.

How to apply: A new version of the VA Form 22-5490, “Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits” is available on VA’s website, A parent or guardian must sign the application if the child is under age 18. 


Chapter 35 - Surviving Spouses/Dependents

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA) Information

This program provides benefits for dependents and spouses of veterans who died or are 100 percent disabled due to service-connected causes.


Chapter 1606 - Selected Reserve

Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) Information

This program provides benefits for members of the Reserve/National Guard who enlisted, re-enlisted or extended their enlistment for a period of six years after July 1, 1985.


Chapter 1607- Reserve Educational Assistance

REAP (Chapter 1607 of title 10, U.S. Code) is a benefit providing educational assistance to members of the reserve components - Selected Reserve (Sel Res) and Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) - who are called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress. The "reserve components" consist of Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard, Air National Guard, Army IRR, Air Force IRR, Navy IRR and Marine Corps IRR. “Active Service” is service on active duty or full-time National Guard duty.


Army Nurse Candidate Program

Earn $1000.00 Monthly Stipend while attending school. $10,000 Bonus. Guaranteed specialty training in OB/GYN, Operating Room, Critical Care, Community Mental Health.

For more information about this program, contact Major Heather Anderson at 1-877-576-4434 or and check out the web site at www.goarmy.comand search under Army Nurse Candidate Program.


Army's Health Professions Scholarship Program

The Army offers one of the most generous and comprehensive scholarships in the health care field. It's called the F. Edward Herbert Armed Forces scholarship, plus a monthly allowance through the Army's HPSP.

Scholarship Eligibility: Must be a citizen of the United States; Meet eligibility criteria for appointment as a commissioned officer in the US Army Reserve; Maintain full-time student status during the entire length of the program.

Tuition: You select the school, obtain acceptance, and apply for the scholarship. If selected, 100% tuition is paid to any accredited professional school in the United States.

Books/Fees/ Reimbursable: The Army will pay for required books, rental of non-expendable equipment and most academic fees.

Monthly Stipend: A generous monthly stipend of $1,319.00 will be provided to ten and one-half months of each school year.

Army Officer Pay: For the remaining six weeks of the school year, you will receive the full pay and allowances offered a Second Lieutenant in the Army Reserve. After graduation and entrance on active duty, you'll be promoted to Captain, which means more pay. Your salary will increase through the years with promotions, time in service, and annual cost of living increases. You'll also receive a monthly non-taxable allowance for your food and housing.

Scholarships are available for Medical, Dental, Veterinarian, Optometry, and Clinical Psychology schools. For more information, please contact SFC Scott W. Sheridan at 1-877-269-1482 or and check out the web site at


My Career Advancement Account

Spouses of military active duty members and activated members of the National Guard and Reserve Components are eligible.

MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) pays for education and training programs, tuition, and licensing/ credentialing fees. This includes degree programs (e.g. associates, bachelors, masters, doctoral and post doctoral), continuing education classes, Bar, CPA and other similar exams, and state certifications for teachers, medical professionals and other licensed occupations. MyCAA also pays for High School Completion courses, GED tests and English As a Second Language (ESL) classes.

Eligible spouses can establish a MyCAA Account by visiting the MyCAA website.


The information stated here is based on existing rules and regulations of the Department of Veterans Affairs and should not be construed as being absolute. New rules and regulations are being released by the DVA continually and may supersede the information stated here. If you have a question that is not answered on this page, please contact: Veterans Services Office in the Financial Aid Department, located in Hearnes Hall, 3950 E Newman Road, Joplin MO 64801.You may also contact Veterans Services at 417-625-3159 or you may email us at