Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

International Admissions


  1. How much is tuition per year
  2. How much is the housing to live on campus (room and board)? What is included
  3. What are the English proficiency requirements
  4. How do I send my transcripts
  5. When is the application deadline
  6. How many students attend Missouri Southern State University
  7. What is the Campus Life like
  8. Whom do I contact when I arrive
  9. What are the facilities on campus available to students
  10. Where is Missouri Southern State University
  11. Is there International Student Financial Aid
  12. How do I pay my fees

1) How much is tuition per year?

International students should budget between $15,000 and $18,500 per year which includes tuition, fees, and room and board. Tuition per credit hour is $354.06 and international students must take at least 12 credit hours per semester to maintain their visa status. On the I-20, the amount of financial support required is $18,500. This amount includes tuition, fees, room and board, and miscellaneous personal expenses. However, your actual expenses may be more or less than that amount depending on your personal choices.

Itemized Tuition and Fees (2015)

Tuition (30 hours)

Activity Fees

Insurance Fees

Textbook Rental

Residence Halls

Total with Residence Halls








2) How much is the housing to live on campus (room and board)? What is included?

The cost for a basic room with 23 meals per week for a full academic year is $5,910.  The cost for housing and meals depends on the type of living situation - dorm room, apartment, or a suite and how many cafeteria meals are included per week - 10, 15 or 23 meals.

3) What are the English proficiency requirements?

In order to join regular academic courses we require the following English scores:

4) How do I send my transcripts?

If you are a first time university student (never attended a US or foreign university), you will need to send your transcript to WES for evaluation. Refer to for instructions specific to your country.

First Time Freshman

If you are a first time freshman from a US high school, you must send your official transcripts from that school, showing you completed the high school program and graduated.


As a transfer student from a foreign institution you will need to submit a WES evaluation of your university transcripts. Refer to the WES website ( for instructions that specify requirements for your country. You must choose the course by course evaluation. The WES service can take up to six weeks for delivery. You should begin this process as soon as you apply for admission. Scanned or faxed copies of transcripts are NOT accepted.

If you are a transfer student from a U.S. institution, you must send your official transcripts from that school as well as the Advisor Transfer Report Form. This form must be filled out by your International Advisor.

5) When is the application deadline?

While we do not have specific deadlines for applying, you will need to give yourself enough time after admission to get your visa.

6) How many students attend Missouri Southern State University?

There are approximately 6,000 at Missouri Southern State University. There are over 190 international students enrolled at MSSU and the number keeps growing!

7) What is the Campus Life like?

Whether it's football, basketball, soccer, or intramural sports, there's always a game going on around campus. There are at least six major theatre productions on campus each year (usually free with student id). MSSU offers 60 student groups including clubs based on specific majors such as Accounting, Biology, etc. Special events are often planned by the Campus Activities Board throughout the year. CAB events vary from semester to semester, but always aim to enhance the collegiate experience. CAB brings lecture series, comedians, musicians, film series, interactive games and novelties to campus. Most events are free to MSSU students with a valid student I.D.

8) Whom do I contact when I arrive?

Lora Dean, Coordinator of International Admissions, will assist you through the admissions process. Her office is located in Hearnes Hall 106 and her phone number is 417-625-3126.

9) What are the facilities on campus available to students?

The Biemdiek Student Recreation Center is a 65,000 sq. ft. facility that features a new Student Health Center, three-court gymnasium, elevated jogging track, two 4,000 sq. ft fitness areas with weight machines and free weights, locker rooms, a 150-seat auditorium, the Lion's Den, Career Services, Campus Activities Board, and more!

Students majoring in one of our health science programs are enjoying their first semester in our  state-of-the-art Health Sciences building. This building enables students to gain hands-on experience in 'real world' laboratory settings including our dental hygiene clinic, nursing labs, and radiologic technology labs.

The Diane Mayes Student Life Center houses the cafeteria, arcade games, ping-pong tables, pool tables, an air hockey table, foosball, big screen TV room, weight room, aerobics room, computer lab and laundry facility. There are also several outdoor recreation facilities near the residence halls.

The library is a beautiful building which provides a variety of valuable services to all students and faculty. In 2002, it was renovated and increased in size by 40,000 sq. ft. It also has a coffee shop and many computers available for student use.

10) Where is Missouri Southern State University?

Joplin, located in the southwest corner of the state, is the 4th largest metro area in the state of Missouri. Joplin's population is approximately 47,000 people, but serves more than 500,000 in the surrounding area. The Sunshine Lamp Trolley serves as our public transportation system around the city and even has several stops on or near campus. The Trolley makes many stops around the city that makes getting around fairly easy. Northpark Mall is within walking distance from campus and supermarkets are not too far away either. Typically international students who do not have their own car will get a ride from a friend or ride the Trolley.


Hours Driving from Southern


11) Is there International Student Financial Aid?

Financial assistance for international students is limited. However, click here for more information on Financial Assistance and Scholarships. Also there are opportunities to pursue on campus employment once you arrive, but again it cannot be guaranteed in advance. International students are limited to jobs on campus, however non-degree English language students are not permitted student employment.

How much can I work on campus?

International students may work up to 20 hours per week. Job responsibilities will vary according to the needs of each office. If you need to obtain a job, you need visit the Student Employment Office as soon as you arrive on campus. Their office is located in Hearnes Hall 109.

12) When do I pay my fees?