How to place items on Reserve
MSSU instructors must fill out a Reserve Request Form (also available at the Main Circulation Desk)
We try our best to have items available within 24 hours of receipt
Note: during busy times, such as the first week of classes, this may not be possible. Please keep this in mind when assigning reserve readings to your students.
Items will be processed in the order in which forms are received
Can I put personal copies on Reserve?
Yes, personal copies may be placed on reserve at the owner's own risk.
After these materials are brought to the Circulation Desk, they are catalogued for Reserve and receive barcodes and magnetic detection strips.
A Reserve Request Form must be completed for each item.
Can I put photocopies on Reserve?
Yes, instructors may provide the library with an appropriate number of photocopies of articles for reserve.
Materials placed on reserve must comply with appropriate sections of the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17: United States Code) and the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education - "Copyright Applies to Everyone," including "fair use" provisions (pages 22-35)
It is the instructor's responsibility to obtain copyright permission through the Copyright Clearance Center - 1-978-750-8400 or www.copyright.com - or directly from the author or publisher and submit permission letters to the circulation department. A sample copyright permission letter is available at the main circulation desk.
Examples of acceptable Reserve materials
- Book chapters and journal articles that meet "fair use" guidelines.
- Instructor-prepared exams, problem solutions, sample papers, and class syllabi.
- Library and personal books and videotapes.
Examples of unacceptable Reserve materials
- Book chapters and journal articles that were on reserve for one semester that do not have the acceptable copyright permission from the author or publisher to remain on reserve another semester.
- Course/reading packets (anthologies)
If you have any questions about copyright or Reserves, please contact:
- Kayla Reed @ 417-625-9687 (Circulation and Resource Sharing Specialist)
- Melissa Forsythe @ 417-625-9386 (Library Administrative Coordinator/Acquisition Specialist)
- or email LibrCirc@mssu.edu