Dental Hygiene Program
Outstanding Reputation and Excellence in Education
Missouri Southern State University provides an outstanding dental hygiene program with EXCELLENCE IN EDUCATION and public service.
The program's reputation and examination results attest to the outstanding accomplishment of the MSSU Dental Hygiene program.
- In 1975, the MSSU Dental Hygiene program opened.
- The Missouri Southern State University Dental Hygiene Program has been continually accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation since its inception. The most recent CODA site visit occurred in December 2009.
- In 2007, the program expanded, adding sites in Rolla and Sikeston, to meet the growing needs for preventive oral healthcare of Missourians.
In Rolla the dental hygiene program is housed at Rolla Technical Center, 500 Forum.
In Sikeston the program is housed on the Southeast Missouri State University - Sikeston at 2401 N. Main.
Interactive live television is utilized for the delivery of lecture courses to the distance sites. Each site is equipped with a clinic for pre-clinic and clinical experiences.
- In 2010 the program moved into the new Health Sciences building on MSSU campus.
- The Missouri Southern State University Hygiene program will be visited by representatives of the Commission on Dental Accreditation April 20-22, 2016. Interested third parties may submit comments that are directly related to the accreditation standards of the program. Comments must pertain only to the standards or policies and procedures used in the Commission's accreditation process. Comments are due in the Commission office no later than 60 days prior to the site visit. Copies of the appropriate accreditation standards and/or the Commission's policy on third party comments may be obtained by contacting the Commission at 211 East Chicago Ave., Chicago, IL 60611 or by calling (312) 440-2500.
- The MSSU Dental Hygiene program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA). This accreditation allows the student to sit for the National Board Dental Hygiene examination and a State Clinical Board examination.
- Empower students to become LIFELONG LEARNERS;
- Facilitate the development of ETHICAL and COMPETENT oral healthcare professionals, who provide patient care to a diverse population utilizing innovative technologies.
- Provide QUALITY EDUCATION that reflects best practices in dental hygiene in order to become an ethical licensed, oral healthcare professional.
- Provide COMPREHENSIVE dental hygiene services to the communities served by Missouri Southern State University.
- Promote the significance of dental hygiene professional development and COMMITMENT to lifelong learning.