Engineering Technology Student Organizations
An active Society of Manufacturing Engineering (SME) student chapter sponsors social and educational events as well as provides students with the opportunity to network and gain the competitive edge needed for building lucrative careers. Club activities include plant tours, homecoming activities, Engineering Technology initiation event, career fairs and other events.
Academic Year 13/14
- Aug 15th Joplin Art Walk, Joplin, MO Showcasing the program to Joplin community
Student Officers Elections for Term 14/15
- Sept 12th Field Trip to Marret Center at Crowder College, Neosho, MO.
Focus on implementing energy saving methods and materials in everyday life. Sustainable housing. 7 students participated.
- Oct 18thField trip to Springfield, MO. Northstar Battery, AECI, Mother’s Brewery.
Focus on implementing quality control measures into battery manufacturing operations; energy trading through grid demand by AECI, beer brewing at Mother’s. 6 students participated.
- Nov 15th Plant Tour Ducommun, LaBarge, Joplin, MO.
Focus on implementing 6-sigma procedures into wire harness manufacturing, 10 students participated.
- Nov 23rd Bonfire, Joplin, MO. Get together for IET students, hosted through SME officers.
- Dec 6th Finals Study Session, Ummel Technology at MSSU Working breakfast study session for all IET students. Hosted by SME student chapter.
- Dec 13th Christmas Party at Red Onion SME student chapter Christmas Party.
- Nov–Dec 24th “Angel Tree” Adopted a 8 year old boy and 11 year old girl and made their Christmas special. $400.00 dollars in cash were donated by our students.
- Jan 23rd FAG Tour Organized through Senior Chapter, 10 students participated.
- Feb 20th Modine Tour Organized through Senior Chapter; 15 students participated.
- Feb 28th Plant Tour to Leggett & Platt, Wire Division Plant, Carthage, MO. Organized through SME Student Chapter, 12 students participated.
- Mar 13 – 14th Field Trip to Tulsa, MO. Whirlpool, Muncie Power Products, McElroy Fusion Equipment, Crosby Group.
Organized through SME Student chapter. Focus on various lean principles in various manufacturing areas. 10 students participated.
- Apr 11th Plant Tour Conway Trucking, Joplin, MO. Focus on Lean principles.
- May 9th 4th Annual Initiation Event Student Chapter organized the 4th annual Initiation Event on May 9th for all students in the ET department and their families. We successfully initiated 10 Students in May 2014
Academic Year 14/15
- Sept 26th Lozier Corporation, Joplin, MO. VIP tour of Joplin manufacturing facilities.
- Oct 24th Plant Tour to Northstar Battery and CNH Reman Distribution, Springfield, MO. Focus on implementing quality control measures into battery manufacturing operations;.
- Nov 8th Bonfire, Joplin, MO. Get together for IET students, hosted through SME officers.
- Dec 5th Finals Study Session, Ummel Technology, MSSU. Working breakfast study session for all IET students. Hosted by SME student chapter.
- Dec 13th Christmas Party, Joplin, MO. SME Student Chapter Christmas Party at Downstream Casino. White Elephant Gift Exchange.
- Mar 13th Thermal Engineering International, Inc., Joplin, MO. Plant tour organized through SME chapter.
Editable Text hereSME members also participated in senior chapter meetings that included educational presentations and helped with the annual Skills USA Machine Tooling and Drafting & Design competitions.