The Computer Information Science (CIS) department provides opportunities for a broad undergraduate education in the many aspects of computer hardware and software. The program offers courses of instruction that develop a thorough understanding of current methods used in the design and implementation of computer based solutions.
Why Computer Information Science?
Do you enjoy working with technology? Do you have a talent for solving problems? If so, Computer Information Science (CIS) could be the right degree choice for you. A degree in CIS can prepare you for graduate school or for entry-level positions such as systems programmer, systems analyst, applications programmer, database administrator, bioinformatics specialist, computer forensics analyst, user support specialist, network administrator or website administrator.
High salaries & job placement rates
Missouri Southern CIS graduates boast one of the highest averages in starting salaries when compared to other majors. Job placement rates are also high. Many Missouri Southern CIS graduates hold positions as middle and upper-level managers in various organizations and several have earned graduate degrees.
Pursuant to the department's educational mission, the faculty:
- Maintains the currency of the curriculum through ongoing research and consultation with industry representatives.
- Engages in professional development that allows its members to remain current in their fields and to provide technological leadership to the university community.
- Is committed to the success of its students, both during and after college.
The Computer Information Science program will produce graduates who:
- Understand and can utilize core information technologies.
- Can analyze, design, and implement effective technology based solutions.
- Have requisite communication and quantitative skills.
- Work effectively as team members.
- Are prepared to be successful in a multicultural-global society.
- Are committed to lifelong personal and professional development.
- Conduct themselves in an honorable and ethical manner.