About the Degree
In many ways, the Literature minor is one of the most attractive on the Missouri Southern campus. A minor in English with an emphasis in literature allows you to deepen your knowledge of literature and writing. A coherent sequence of courses is selected in consultation with your departmental advisor. Some courses can be chosen on the basis of your background, academic major and personal interest.
What You'll Learn
- Creative writing, professional writing, advanced professional writing, technical writing or advanced essay writing.
- A familiarity with British, American and World literature (nine hours of 300-400 level classes).
- Opportunities to use your talents and pursue your interests through Sigma Tau Delta, our department’s chapter of the national honors society, or through bordertown, our creative arts magazine.
This Minor is Great for You if:
- You have a major unrelated to the study of literature, but have a deep and abiding interest in good books and good writing.
- You're a "Renaissance thinker" and feel your life is not complete without literature.
- You feel literature is a key to understanding and want to read and study books, poems and essays that helped change the world and document its progress.