The Mission of the Veteran Services Office at Missouri Southern State University is to create a welcoming environment that supports military service members, veterans, and dependents as they make the transition to higher education.
The Veteran Services Office assists military service members, veterans, and dependents with utilizing educational benefits and is responsible for certifying enrollment to the VA. Missouri Southern State University offers military service members and veterans in-state tuition regardless of state of residency, priority registration and college credit for military training and experience.
Missouri Southern State University is a participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program, VA Principles of Excellence, Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding, Service Members Opportunity College and the Missouri Returning Heroes Education Act.
Military Friendly School
Missouri Southern State University has been included on the list of Military Friendly® Schools since 2009. The list honors the top 15 percent of colleges, universities and trade schools that are doing the most to embrace military service members, veterans, and dependents.
Step 1: Apply for Admission to MSSU
Step 2: Apply for VA Education Benefits
Step 3: Submit the MSSU Veteran Registration and Certification Form every semester to use your education benefits.
Additional Documents or Requirements (If Applicable):
- DD-214 / Member 4 Copy
- Certificate of Eligibility Letter from VA
- Change of Program or Place of Training / VA Form 22-1995 (Veterans) / VA Form 22-5495 (Dependents)
- Vocational Rehabilitation Authorization / VA Form 28-1905
- State and/or Federal Tuition Assistance Authorization / Award Letter
- College Transcripts and/or Joint Services Transcript
- Verify Enrollment / Chapter 1606 and Chapter 30 students must verify enrollment through WAVE at the end of every month / 877-823-2378
- Chapter 1606 - GI Bill® Selected Reserve (Reserve & Guard)
- Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill® (Prior or Active Duty)
- Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehab (Service-Connected Disability)
- Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill®
- Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill® Transfer of Entitlement (TOE)
- Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill® Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (FRY)
- Chapter 35 - Dependents’ Education Assistance Program (DEA)
- State Tuition Assistance (Missouri National Guard)
- Federal Tuition Assistance (Active, Reserve and National Guard)
- VA Handouts and Forms
- VA Benefit Rates
- U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs Education Line / 888-442-4551
- VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Services / 314-552-9200
- Missouri National Guard Education Line / 573-638-9500
- Veterans Crisis Line / 800-273-8255
- U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
- Explore VA (Learn about Benefits)
- E-Benefits (Manage Benefits)
- Vets (Apply for Benefits)
- Military (Information)
- Make the Connection (Advice and Resources)
- National Guard (Education Programs)
- Troops to Teachers (Proud to Serve Again)
- Missouri DESE Veterans Education (On-the-Job Training)
Welcome Home to Joplin (Local Area Resources)
Show-Me Gold Program
This Missouri Army National Guard Officer Leadership Program will offer citizens of Missouri the opportunity for professional development to become officers in the Missouri Army National Guard. The officer training program will consist of credit-bearing classroom instruction, leadership laboratories, and physical training.
Scholarships & Loans
Student Veteran's Organization
The purpose of this organization shall be to foster camaraderie between military service members, veterans, and dependents attending Missouri Southern State University. The goals of the organization are to support academic success, ensure veterans are aware of all eligible benefits and resources, and provide an outlet for leadership and community involvement.