- The first step in applying for financial assistance is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- You must request a PIN number (personal identification number) from the Department of Education when completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid ( FAFSA ), and understand how to use it. If you are a single dependent (under the age of 24 without dependents of your own), your parents should also apply for a PIN. You will use your PIN number to make corrections to your FAFSA information, sign master promissory notes, look up personal data on federal systems, request deferments, and access campus accounts. Please protect your personal information. You will use your e-mail account to respond to award letters, request for information for such things as verification of data, and acceptance of scholarships.
- By completing the FAFSA you will be applying for Federal assistance. If you complete the application prior to April 1 you are automatically considered for State funds if you are a Missouri resident. In addition, by applying early you can ensure your financial aid is processed prior to the following semesters tuition deadlines.
- If transferring to Missouri Southern, request all academic transcripts from all previously attended colleges be sent to MSSU, whether or not you received funds. If you are transferring in the middle of an academic year, be sure and ask that all remaining financial aid disbursements be canceled so your aid can be processed here.
- Some students are randomly selected for a process called "verification". The selection is done when your application is processed by the Department of Education. If you are selected for "verification", you will need to provide a copy of the signed federal tax transcripts used to complete the application and complete a worksheet we will provide for you.
- If you wish to apply for an Academic scholarship, you should contact the Financial Aid Office to see if you meet the eligibility criteria.
- If you wish to apply for a Foundation's scholarship you must complete the Foundation application and return it to the Financial Aid Office prior to March 1st.
- If you are applying for a Performing Award, such as a band award or an Athletic Scholarship, you should contact the department supervising that activity.
- Applications for financial aid must be completed well in advance of each semester's registration and on file in the Financial Aid Office so a financial aid package can be computed.
- Funds are awarded for the full academic year, excluding summer. Spring applicants must have completed all necessary documentation by November 1. Summer school funds should be requested on March 1 or later in writing indicating the types and amounts of assistance.
- Each type of financial aid has an application deadline.
* To receive Federal Financial Assistance you must meet all Admissions Requirements, be a student who is taking courses leading to a degree, and be attending classes at least 1/2 time (6 hours) each Fall and Spring semester.
What to do after you have applied for Financial Aid:
- After you are admitted to Missouri Southern you will be mailed a student id number, school email account information and password. To log in using this information go to LioNet.
- Be sure to check your school email account often! All correspondence from the Financial Aid Office will be sent to that e-mail address.
- LioNet provides access to your personal data, fee statements, registration, grades, schedule, transcripts, and etc. In addition, you will be able to view pending and awarded financial aid.
- For your information, all records are kept in electronic format with few exceptions. Those students selected for verification by the Department of Education will be required to give the Financial Aid Office a photocopy of tax data. All correspondence, likewise, is done through e-mail, so it is imperative that you have an e-mail address and monitor it for communications from the Financial Aid Office.