KGCS is proud to have received a number of awards throughout the years:
MBA Scholarship Award Winner Zachary Dodge (center in tie).
Zachary Dodge, a mass communication major at KGCS-TV, received a scholarship from the Missouri Broadcasters Association for the 2015-2016 academic year. The award was presented at the annual MBA convention and awards program in June.
Students from KGCS-TV in the Department of Communication at Missouri Southern State University are being recognized for their work by the Missouri Broadcast Educators Association. The state-wide competition features works by college broadcast students from across the state of Missouri. The awards include two first-place honors and three honorable mentions:
- Ethan Stump - First Place for Commercial/Promo/PSA script
- Kristen Hanna - First Place for Documentary Script
- Jake Hamilton -Honorable Mention for Video PSA
- KGCS Practicum - Honorable Mention for Multi-camera Live Event
- Andrew Webb and Shayne Carnahan - Honorable Mention for Radio Audio Play-by-Play
College Broadcasters Inc. recognized a Public Service Announcement produced by KGCS-TV as a television finalist in the Best Public Service Announcement category of the 2013 competition. The PSA, "National Alliance on Mental Illness" was voiced by Kristen Hanna.
The Missouri Broadcast Educators Association presented awards to two student entries from KGCS-TV and Missouri Southern:
- Justin Coale - First Place for Video Sports Package
- Justin Coale and Jordan Larimore - Honorable Mention for Audio Play-by-Play
The Missouri Broadcast Educators Association recognizes Missouri Southern students in the annual production awards competition:
- Kisa Clark - First Place in Documentary Scriptwriting, Michael Woodruff - First Place in Documentary Production
- Kate Inmann - First Place in News Scriptwriting
- Tracy Webb, Kisa Clark, Kenna Peters, Luke Heffron and J.T. Mezel - First Place in Multimedia/Convergent Journalism
- Aaron Durall - Honorable Mention in Music Video Production
- Kisa Clark - Honorable Mention - Video/Feature Film.
- A public service announcement produced by KGCS-TV for Habitat for Humanity receives a Certificate of Merit from the Missouri Broadcasters Association, at the annual MBA conference and awards banquet. The PSA featured information about Habitat's role in the Joplin community.
- The Missouri Broadcast Educators Association recognizes students for their production work at KGCS-TV. The statewide competition features entries from colleges and universities throughout Missouri. Those recognized in 2011 include: Kate Inman - First Place in scriptwriting for news, Sabrina Hooker - Honorable Mention for Video Public Service Announcements, Kisa Clark and Eric Crosswhite - Honorable Mention for Video News Show, and Kisa Clark - Honorable Mention for Video News Package.
- A video produced by Communication majors Kisa Clark and Michael Woodruff is recognized as a finalist in the nationwide 2011 MLK Technology Challenge Contest for Martin Luther King, Jr., Day of Service Activities. The video highlights volunteer efforts by MSSU students, faculty and staff.
- The television program "Four State Night Files" won the Special Programs Award in the Class III television category from the Missouri Broadcasters Association. The program was produced by Sam McDonald.
- Three MSSU Communication students received awards from the Missouri Broadcast Educators Association annual student competition. Rachel Roberds and Annie Clarkson won first place in scriptwriting for commercials, promos and public service announcements. Preston Jones received an honorable mention award in the corporate/promotional video category.
- A video produced by Junior Communication Major Kisa Clark is recognized as a finalist in the 2010 MLK Technology Challenge Contest for Martin Luther King, Jr., Day of Service activities.
- KGCS received a statewide award from the Missouri State Teachers Association in the Television - Literacy Program category, for its work with Joplin NALA Read. The annual MSTA Media Awards recognize outstanding coverage of education and education issues by Missouri media.
- Student Patricia Pham was a National Finalist in the Music Video Category for the annual Student Media Competition for the National Broadcasting Society.
- Student Erica Miranda received the first place award in the Public Service Announcement category of the annual College Media Competition sponsored by Missouri Broadcast Educators Association. Her PSA, "Girl Scouts" highlighted the development of the new Girl Scout Council, Girl Scouts of the Missouri Heartland. It aired on television stations throughout the region.
- KGCS-TV received a national award from the Community Broadcasters Association programming competition. The station received third place in the Political Program category, for a "Newsmakers" interview with Congressman Roy Blunt. CBA is a national organization representing thousands of low-power television stations around the United States.
- KGCS-TV received statewide recognition from the Missouri State Teachers Association annual Media Awards contest, in the television General Coverage category. The competition recognizes outstanding coverage of education and educational issues by Missouri Media.
- The Missouri Broadcast Educators Association recognized Megan Harrison with an award in the PSA category for her "NALA Spell Ball" Public Service Announcement.
- The National Broadcasting Society Regional Production competition recognized Jarrod Griswold for his "Homecoming 2007" PSA.
- KGCS-TV received statewide recognition from the Missouri State Teachers Association annual Media Awards contest, in the Television - Literacy Program category. KGCS-TV has worked with Joplin NALA Read in promoting awareness of adult and family literacy needs in the area. The MSTA annual awards are a state-wide program to recognize media outlet for their coverage of education issues.
- Two student entries received Honorable Mention awards in the 2007 Missouri Broadcast Educators Association competition. Trevor Marks was recognized in the Corporate/Promotional category. Megan Harrison, Danielle Dunn, Jarrod Griswold, and Erica Miranda were recognized for "Campus Update" in the News category.
- KGCS received a Certificate of Merit from the Missouri Broadcasters Association in the PSA Campaign category, for the production of the "Stay in School" PSA, featuring NASA astronaut Janet Kavandi.
- KGCS received a Silver Addy from the Joplin Area Advertising Federation in the TV Infomercial category, for the production of the "MSSU Infomercial."
- KGCS won Honorable Mention in the TV-Program Length category of the 2005 Max Karant Awards for Excellence in Aviation Coverage, from the Airline Owners and Pilots Association.
- KGCS received the Media of the Year Award in recognition of outstanding support of the Girl Scout Organization, presented by the Girl Scout Council of the Ozark Area.
- KGCS received Homorable Mention from the National Broadcasting Society for "Campus Update" in the Video Magazine category.
- KGCS received 1st place in the Politically Oriented Show category from the Community Broadcasters Association "Newsmakers"
- KGCS received an award from the Missouri State Teachers Association for involvement with Literacy programs.
- KGCS General Manager Judy Stiles receives the Missouri State Teachers Association award plaque during a presentation at the Joplin R-VIII School Board meeting in March 2004. KGCS received the statewide award for General Coverage for outstanding reporting of news in education.
- Missouri Broadcast Educators Association Presented KGCS with two awards: Winner in News, KGCS Campus Update, Philip Cross, Honorable Mention PSA, Cookie Sales for Area Girl Scouts
- Missouri State Teachers Association General Coverage Award, for outstanding coverage of news in education.
- National Broadcasting Society National Electronic Media Awards: Video Sports Play-by-Play Programming, Southern Sports Sunday/Football, produced by Gabe Mankin, Nathan Cassady, Brian Harter
- National Broadcasting Society Regional Production Competition, First Place - Video News Program, KGCS Campus Update, produced by Brian Harter, Lori Burns & Lacey Messick
- National Broadcasting Society Competition Honorable Mention - Video Sports Package, MSSC Football, Gabe Mankin
- Joplin Area Advertising Federation, Addy Award - Citation of Excellence - Student Production, "McGwire/Cardinals Promo," produced by Michael Dunn
- Missouri State Teachers Association, Media Award (Educational Service Announcement) for outstanding reporting of news in education.
- National Broadcasting Society Regional Competition Honorable Mention Sports/News Feature Package, - Esdra Lamy
- Joplin Area Advertising Federation ADDY Award,, Student Promotional Spot "Video Digest" - Justin Sifford and Michael Dunn
- The Alliance for Community Media - Central States Region, Second Place - Philo T. Farnsworth Award Non-Professional Series, "Visions Unlimited"
- Missouri Broadcast Educators Association, First Place - Video Non-dramatic: "Singers to Musicans," Courtney Hulsey
- Missouri Boradcast Educators Association, Second Place - TV Sports: "Southern Sports Sunday/MSSC vs. Pitt State," Esdra Lamy, Andy Searcy, Jason Walsh
- National Society of Fundraising Executives, Outstanding Media Organization
- KAN (Kansas) Film Festival, Second Place - Open Division/Documentary, "Passion for the Ivories" - Produced by Judy Stiles and Robin Douglas
- Missouri Broadcast Educators Association, 1st Place - News KGCS Reports
- Missouri Broadcast Educators Association, 1st Place - Sports - Southern Sports Sunday: MSSC vs. Pittsburg State Football
- Missouri Broadcast Educators Association, 1st Place - Non-Dramatic Presentation, Kathleen Latlip
- 2nd Place - Commercial, Danny Craven
- 2nd Place - PSA, Kathleen Latlip
- 3rd Place - PSA, Rusty Wells
- National Association of College Broadcasters - Second Place in the "Station of the Year" competition
- Missouri Broadcast Educators Association, 1st Place - News/Sports production: KGCS Reports, Joey Gann, Chris Miller, Brian McKee
- 1st Place - Music Video Production: The cleansing, Ty McCarty
- Volunteer Station of the Year - Area Agency on Aging Retired Senior Volunteer Program (for involvement with "Visions Unlimited" television production activities)
- KAN (Kansas) Film Festival - Honorable Mention - Documentary: "Keys for Success" - Judy Stiles and Robin Douglas
- KAN (Kansas) Film Festival - Honorable Mention - Documentary: "World War II: Shared Memories" - Jean Campbell and Robin Douglas
- KAN (Kansas Film Festival - 3rd Place - College Division: Music Video, Ty McCarty
- Society of Professional Journalists (Region 7) - 2nd Place - Newscast: KGCS Reports