Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to be admitted to Missouri Southern State University to attend classes in the IEP
How do I apply to Missouri Southern State University if I am not living in the United States
How do I transfer from a university in the United States to MSSU
How long will it take me to complete my studies in the IEP
What are the dates and lengths of sessions in the IEP
When can I begin my classes in the IEP
Can I take regular classes and IEP classes at the same time
What kind of tutoring is available
What are conversation partners
Can I contact the IEP director if I have questions about the curriculum or the courses I will take
I don’t want to get a degree; I just want to take English classes. Do I have to be admitted to Missouri Southern State University to attend classes in the IEP?
How do I apply to Missouri Southern State University if I am not living in the United States?
How do I transfer from a university in the United States to MSSU?
How long will it take me to complete my studies in the IEP?
- The length of time you will be in the IEP depends on your English skill level when you begin your studies in the IEP at MSSU and how much effort and time you put into your studies. Average time for a student to complete the IEP is 3 semesters.
What are the dates and lengths of sessions in the IEP?
- The IEP is on the same schedule as regular, academic classes at MSSU:
Our fall semester begins in August and ends in December. Our spring semester begins in January and ends in May. Each semester is 16 weeks and the exact day the semester begins and ends may vary. The summer session is shorter and more intensive; it lasts for 8 weeks during June and July. You can complete one level of the IEP during each semester and one level during the summer session.
When can I begin my classes in the IEP?
- You can begin your classes at the beginning of each semester or at the beginning of the summer session. For example, you may begin classes in August, January or June. Remember to apply early because it may take several weeks to complete your visa application.
Can I take regular classes and IEP classes at the same time?
- Your course schedule is determined by your test scores, class grades and conversations with the IEP director. There are cases where a student can take a regular or remedial class as well as IEP classes. This is determined on a case by case basis. The IEP director will look at all of your grades, including those from a transfer institution, your test scores and speak to your teachers before making this decision. Our goal in the IEP is to prepare you for regular, academic classes. Placing you in regular classes when you are not prepared, will not help you to be successful.
What kind of tutoring is available?
What are conversation partners?
- Conversation partners are native English speakers who agree to meet with IEP students for at least 30 minutes each week to practice conversing in English. Conversation partners can help you with pronunciation, idioms, speech patterns, conversational cues and facial and body language.
Can I contact the IEP director if I have questions about the curriculum or the courses I will take?
- Yes! We love to communicate with our students. Call the director at 417-625-9821 or email email@example.com