About the Degree:
Think back and try to remember which high school teacher influenced you the most. Nearly half of all teachers say they decided to follow a path into professional education based on positive interaction by a high school teacher. Now you can do the same with a whole new generation of students. You can teach at the high school level by becoming qualified in a single teaching field that best suits you.
By obtaining a Bachelor of Science in Education, Secondary Education major, you can become qualified in a single teaching field with one or two of the following specialties:
- Social Sciences, with an emphasis on either History, Political Science or Sociology
- Business Education
- Unified Sciences, with an emphasis on either Biology, Chemistry or Physics
- Industrial Technology
Forty or more semester hours are required in a single teaching field, while 30 semester hours from each of the two selected specialties must be met for a double-teaching field requirement.
Candidates in secondary education must meet the same general education requirements as all MSSU students. Each specialty area has a sequence of courses for the teaching specialty.
There are also a number of Secondary Professional Education courses available, both required and recommended.
What You’ll Learn:
- The Missouri Southern Teacher Education candidate understands the central concepts, structures, and tools of inquiry of the discipline(s) and creates learning experiences that make these aspects of subject matter meaningful and engaging for all students.
- The Missouri Southern Teacher Education candidate understands how students learn, develop and differ in their approaches to learning. The teacher provides learning opportunities that are adapted to diverse learners and support the intellectual, social, and personal development of all students.
- The Missouri Southern Teacher Education candidate recognizes the importance of long‐range planning and curriculum development. The teacher develops, implements, and evaluates curriculum based upon standards and student needs.
- The Missouri Southern Teacher Education candidate uses a variety of instructional strategies to encourage students’ critical thinking, problem solving, and performance skills including instructional resources.
- The MSSU Teacher Education candidate uses an understanding of individual and group motivation and behavior to create a learning environment that encourages active engagement in learning, positive social interaction, and self‐motivation.
- The MSSU Teacher Education candidate models effective verbal, nonverbal, and media communication techniques with students and parents to foster active inquiry, collaboration, and supportive interaction in the classroom.
- The MSSU Teacher Education candidate understands and uses formative and summative assessment strategies to assess the learner’s progress, uses assessment data to plan ongoing instruction, monitors the performance of each student, and devises instruction to enable students to grow and develop.
- The Missouri Southern Teacher Education candidate is a reflective practitioner who continually assesses the effects of choices and actions on others. The teacher actively seeks out opportunities to grow professionally in order to improve learning for all students.
- The Missouri Southern Teacher Education candidate has effective working relationships with students, parents, school colleagues, and community members.
This Degree is Great for You if:
- You wish to work with students between the ages of 11 and 18.
- You truly want to make a difference in the lives of students and can’t wait to have that first “a-ha!” moment.
- You want to specialize in teaching one or two particular subjects.
Biology Education Major, Grades 9-12, BSE
Business Education Major, Grades 9-12, BSE
Chemistry Education Major, Grades 9-12 , BSE
English Education Major, Grades 9-12, BSE
Mathematics Education Major, Grades 9-12, BSE
Physics Education Major, Grades 9-12, BSE
Social Science, History, Grades 9-12, BSE
Social Science, Political Science Education Major Grades 9-12, BSE
Social Science, Sociology Education Major, Grades 9-12, BSE
Speech and Theatre Education Major, Grades 9-12, BSE