About the Degree
The degree in English with an emphasis in Literary Studies focuses on the traditional study of literature, helping prepare you for advanced study of English in graduate school, and for a variety of careers in which understanding of human nature, critical thinking and oral and written communication skills are valued. The English Department supports the University’s goal of preparing global citizens by offering relevant international curricula and experiences for its students, including international study opportunties.
What You'll Learn
- Methods for writing and research to help hone your research and analytical skills.
- English Linguistics or History of the English language.
- The works of the greatest British, American and world writers, including a senior seminar capstone course.
This Degree is Great for You if:
- You plan on working in any profession where strong written communication skills are a top priority.
- You're interested in teaching, publishing, writing, editing or administrating.
- You plan on pursuing a master's and/or Ph.D in English or another discipline to solidify your knowlege base and increase your marketability.